Note: So I started writing this after seeing Dylan play in
Cincy last night. The blog seemed much more organized in my head. But as I’ve thought
about Plato, I’ve also been thinking that applying the classical view of
rhetoric to the MA paper I begin talking about would add a lot. Suggestions are
certainly welcome. (I should also note that I am presenting on its current
interation at MPCA conference this October.)
As an MA I wrote a paper about the changing rhetoric in Bob
Dylan’s various renditions of “Tangled Up in Blue.” The paper was premised on
this ridiculous notion that I might be able to sift through each lyrical and
musical reimagining, juxtapose them with the period of my life they came to
represent (since I heard and understood them un-chronologically) and somehow I
could arrive at ultimate Truth. In hindsight this view hewed more closely to
the Platonic view of art (mimesis) than the other theoretical frameworks I was
imposing on Dylan’s work. Each rendition of the song after all was really just
an imitation (or as I called them, “reimaginings”) of the original—and what’s
more, the original is an imitation of the Dylan’s real life divorce. (He
famously said the song took him ten years to live and two years to write.) Add
these layers of imitation to the idea that I am trying to apply this to the construct
of my life and you’re nowhere close to Truth.
If
nothing else, I guess it’s flattering for Dylan to have people think so highly
of his work. The old adage does state that imitation is the highest form of
flattery. (So, I guess, logically speaking, Dylan actually flatters himself
quite a bit.) Through all of the conversations Socrates has with Gorgias,
Polus, and Callicles flattery seems to be the driving force. Plato (through
Socrates) defines flattery as “a part of a certain business which has nothing
fine about it” and eventually as “base” (97). Plato elaborates, saying that
rhetoric is not art but a habitude or knack—it’s what cookery is to medicine
(98). It’s what the Real Live version of “Tangled” is to the Blood on the
Tracks version. But to look at Plato’s view of art as an imitation really
doesn’t add a whole lot to my understanding. He did, after all, illustrate his
point quite well in his parable of the cave. What I want to look at
specifically is the degree of imitation and to what end.
Flattery—a
feigning of interest or being impressed—is an imitation. Plato’s use of
flattery in both the dialectics of Gorgias and Phaedrus expose the true forms
of the thought. In the former, weakness of definition is exposed, while in the
latter true intentions are made clear. To rely on Plato’s idea of the cave once
more, we are able to see form only by projection; but we know it is only a
projection because of the form. Rhetoric becomes a necessary thing to
understand philosophy.
On
top of everything else we also have to consider that Socrates is, in a literary
sense, an imitation put forth by Plato—he is merely a shadow of Plato’s
thoughts and intentions. This is flattery on a whole different level, one that
supposes ethos, but also asks on a deeper level for the audience to take a quasi-historical
and literary view of Socrates as not just a person, but as a symbol. It’s
flattering for Socrates, but it also adds, as Burke puts it, “the delight[s] of
symbolic interaction... increased by the imitation of grave and serious
conflicts” (298). The conflicts in neither Gorgias and Phaedrus aren’t really
all that grave or serious; however, given Socrates as a symbol with which to
synthesize Plato’s ideas, the true form becomes more apparent.
To
bring it all back home to Dylan it seems to me that the best way to get at
truth is to look at the multitude of projections and how they are layered. We
understand the irony and the humor and the rhetoric behind such phrases as
“Sweet Polus” (96) or Socrates calling Phaedrus charming (140); however, that
is only one dimension of it. In order to gain a greater understanding, we have
to consider the person saying it and to whom they are speaking. This
interaction is at its core, symbolic (which in the case of fictionalized
dialogues is even more so). At one point in time we have to look at the
interaction from a different point of view—or, while we can’t step into the
same river twice, we can step in at the same spot and understand more about our
initial encounter. (Insert clever Bob pun about watching the river flow here.)
No comments:
Post a Comment