Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Takeaways from 733


The takeaways from this course are really divided into two areas for me: Problematizing the ideas I already had about rhetoric and expanding my view of rhetoric. These are, of course, related. In many classes the goal is simply to expand a knowledge base with the idea that more knowledge means greater intellect. But more can probably be gained from questioning the beliefs (or “facts”) that we already possess. Sometimes the best way to call these beliefs into question is by expanding our knowledge base and then synthesizing. For me—especially since I have had the opportunity to take 733 and 603 simultaneously—733 has been a place to synthesize. That’s where I learned the most.
            First, the expansion. On the most basic level I ended up reading more the Rhetorical Tradition than I did as an MA student. But instead of looking at “pieces of rhetoric” we also began to explore systems of rhetoric and how they come to define the larger tradition. (The book, The Rhetorical Tradition, was not discussed, but rather acted as a warehouse of texts in my MA program.) I also developed a better sense of writing technologies (most notably language and writing) and how they came to shape not just culture, but also thought processes. The differentiation of speech and writing and their complicated relationship came to light a little better. I also have a fuller sense of history. One of the recurring themes about RT that became apparent in our classroom critiques is that it is a person-based text. History as a class (and the last one I took was as an undergrad) is usually event based. So, in looking at these historical figures, I gained another dimension of the construct we call history.
            Then came the problems. The systems of knowledge really bugged me at first—the whole idea that we are operating inside this ideology and can’t get out of it. I guess this is why the RT began to bother me so much: because as a text it really came to exemplify how we create these ideas and then make institutions that reinforce these ideas and turn them into ideologies. My interest in libraries and the Dewey Decimal Classification comes from this vein. I also began to note some of the discrepancies or exclusions from history, causing me to question how history is formed and how it operates as a system itself. The usual components of history—events, people, and politics—began to crystallize as rhetorical. (Think of the suffrage movement in history versus how it is approached in RT.) Add the writing technologies into the mix and I began to appreciate the seemingly less significant movements in the history of rhetoric like letter writing or the use of silence.
            That’s more than 2-3 things and nothing that really zeros in on a takeaway. (And thus is my focus this semester.) How about this as my big takeaway: Our goal as teachers should not be to stuff the students’ heads with “new” information like logos, ethos, kairos and whatever other Greek words we can rustle up. Instead, maybe we can better teach by slowly expanding the students’ world in ways that challenge their beliefs. We need to be interdisciplinary. (We’ve seen what a rift in the humanities can do in the long term.) We also need to design assignments that challenge students’ perceptions of writing. First, we need to make writing relevant by giving it venue, audience, and kairotic purpose. Secondly, we need to broaden our notions of rhetoric in the first-year classroom. Why do we assign papers? Speeches, videos, system design, and metadata are the rhetorics we should be concerned with now. I saw this article about one of Kurt Vonnegut’s writing assignments and it struck me as particularly useful. (Then it struck me that he was doing this nearly five decades ago.) We should be looking at texts, yes, but we also need to acknowledge the tools and the methods of production.

3 comments:

  1. I love Vonnegut's assignment - that is wonderful! What a meaningful way to make literary criticism - in a very hands-on meaning of that term - accessible, useful, and meaningful to students. At the same time, what a wise use of audience, purpose, exigence.... I love that assignment. If the situation arises, I may use a version of that at some point in the future.

    In reading your post here, I note that I also found myself examining the way that technology shapes not just production, but epistemology, this semester. I knew this on some level and had thought of it in rather haphazard ways, but the things we discussed and examined gave me a more solid basis (and terminology) for discussion. I also enjoy your discussion above of the difference between a particular movement (you mention the suffrage movement, which I've been studying) as it was, versus how we see it/how it is presented in the RT.

    Another question: How are our perceptions altered, I wonder, when we think of rhetoric from a theoretical standpoint (think Quintilian or Aristotle) versus studying the performance of rhetoric (think Douglas or Grimkes)? I have always wanted to study (say) Cicero as a rhetorical theorist AND as a rhetor. (This would be easy enough to do - I just haven't had time.) What do we learn about rhetoric studying ABOUT rhetoric, versus what we learn studying rhetoric in action? If we just read, say, famous speeches and then had to write our own "rhetorical theory," how much would it differ from the ones we inherit AS theory?

    I always appreciate the spatial aspect of your thinking and enjoy reading your posts/works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From: Keely Mohon

    RAGE!!! Sorry, my post got erased...again.

    As I was trying to say...I think you offer a solution for the problem of systems that you mentioned above--synthesis. The great part about living in the present is that we can look back on these rhetoricians' systems and see what will work in the here and now. We don't have to subscribe to all of their ideas. We can pick and choose the elements that we think will help our students now. This has already been occurring in ou in-class discussion. Every other week one of us says something along the lines of "I think I could use this in my own class" or "I can use so-and-so's theory to explain such-andsuch topic to my students." While reading the systems directly from the RT can most definitely be oppressive, we need to consciously remind ourselves that we don't have to choose to follow any one of them. In fact, if we really want to, we don't have to stay within the western rhetorical tradition at all. We can acquire ideas from world rhtorics, such as the Chinese concept of "shu." We have the ability to create our own rhetorical systems, or, as Canagarajah seems to advocate, we can encourage our students to create their own systems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you framed your discussion of the class: " But instead of looking at “pieces of rhetoric” we also began to explore systems of rhetoric and how they come to define the larger tradition." I, too, think that while we studied individual rhetors and theories, we did not decontextualize them. And to contextualize rhetoric, part of it deals with understanding the systems at work. And I really enjoyed how your discussion of system fueled into thinking about the system(s) of history: " The usual components of history—events, people, and politics—began to crystallize as rhetorical." I know we talked a bit at the beginning of class that 'everything can be perceived as rhetorical,' but I wasn't sure how that really happened. But critiquing the RT made me realize how that was possible in different fields/studies (in history, for this example).

    ReplyDelete