In
trying to explain the three Octologs to one of my buddies here in Dayton, I
likened them to the Godfather trilogy: The first two are actually one story
because they are intertwined and offer a progression that produces insight. The third one kind of floats off by itself and is interesting in its own way, though it doesn't seem to concerned with continuity or history. ...In
fact the first two are so good, the third one looks bad in comparison. Had the
third installment of each franchise not carried on the title, it might have
been better received.
I
read the Octologs and was initially a little confused how all three worked
together. I felt better after I read the reviews for Octolog III as I shared
many of the same sentiments. The first Octolog made some important points about
how we construct history—mainly the idea that history is itself a construction
born of a sociohistorical rhetorical situation. With this in mind the scholars
engaged in the eight-person dialogue (sorry, I find “Octolog” as a name to be
all kitsch and pretension) also make some advances in the areas traditionally
used to support the monolithic History. Conners makes a valid point when he
notes that our hypotheses—of the empirical method—are tainted with our biases
and presuppositions. Likewise, Enos calls our idea of what constitutes proof
into question—a sentiment I hear repeated by Jarrett when she notes that mere
text selection can reveal politics.
All
of this really asks: what should be the academy’s role in the creation of
history? Crowley, in her initial statement, says that the historian’s ethos is
of paramount importance. Later, in her response section, she states that the
authors of history are often isolated by the academy. Unanimously it seems the
panelists of the Octolog call for the forgotten texts to be re/discovered. For
Swearigen this means looking at the women excluded from history and asking why
they are excluded. For Vitanza this means a closer examination of
embodiment—something that comes into prominence by the third Octolog. And for
several panelists the recovery of the Sophists is also of importance.
[I
have to note here that my favorite part of this whole interaction is when
Murphy says he will tell the audience what was said right after it was said
(11). For me this just about sums up what the entire panel was saying: history
is selective; history is recorded by those with power (the moderator); history
is subjective and depends on ethos; history is isolated by the academy (as
symbolized by Murphy). Really, it was a nice moment, whether intentional or
not.]
While
the idea of constructed history doesn’t strike me as particularly original,
questioning the authority and methods of academy at CCCC in 1988 must have been
a big moment. The waves that it caused, and the events it must have put into
motion, were felt nine years later when a second Octolog convened. This time
around the conversation only glossed over the main topic raised by Octolog
prime—the idea of objective/subjective histories. Instead Atwill sets the tenor
of the discussion by raising the secondary concerns from the first panel:
methodology, gatekeeping, and identity. Indeed this Octolog seemed to operate
off the base established by the original panel to interrogate methods,
methodologies, and critical gazes. Mountford notes that nine years after Enos
calls for new methods and we, as a field, still do not have them. While the
other panelists aren’t as openly critical of the lack of progress, the notion
of institutional hegemony does seem to become a recurrent theme in this
conversation. Ferreia-Buckley, like most of the other panelists, is concerned
with disadvantaged voices—a problem that is compounded by the power structures
in the academy (the rush to publish, the lack of methods, funding, etc.).
To
me the entire conversation is self-reflexive. As Glenn notes (both in the panel
and in her article this week), history is written by “white men” (and here I
mean to use white men in a more generic sense; let “white men” read here as the
hegemonic force in culture. Today’s white men are the universities). In
challenging the politics of historiography the boundaries between the academy
and “the real world” are hardened (something Cintron makes a note of in Octolog
III). Schiappa notes that the idea of “history is rhetorical” is commonly used
as a trope used to cut down opposing viewpoints. Miller further problematizes
the rhetorical nature of history by giving a concrete example of how history
can be represented by CCCC’s work.
Getting
the short end of the stick are the folks outside the academy—or even folks from
other disciplines. Atwill says that disciplinary paradigms shape experience.
Mountford puts this idea into greater context when decries the constant
pushback in rhetoric for writing instruction over civic discourse. Perhaps the
hardest reach for historiography outside of the academy came from Welch, who
advocated or TV and its constructions to be more seriously considered.
Given
the progress (and in some cases the lack thereof) from Octolog I to Octolog II,
I expected to see more concrete results in the third Octolog. I expected to see
the power systems of the university subverted and new methods developed. Then I
realized Octolog III takes place in this universe just two years ago.
[Aside: I was disappointed that, after all the credence given to the dialectic in Octolog I (Enos) and talk of talking and telling in Octolog II (Lauer), the format of Octolog III facilitated far less conversation between panelists. Instead the session comes off as more or less a series of presentations on each scholar's research area. This could be why it seems things have stagnated--they have stopped conversing on a larger level.]
[Aside: I was disappointed that, after all the credence given to the dialectic in Octolog I (Enos) and talk of talking and telling in Octolog II (Lauer), the format of Octolog III facilitated far less conversation between panelists. Instead the session comes off as more or less a series of presentations on each scholar's research area. This could be why it seems things have stagnated--they have stopped conversing on a larger level.]
The
biggest gain in the ten years between II and III sees a rise in recovering
forgotten histories—namely women, disabilities, and multicultural studies. But
the theme also became significantly more focused with nearly everyone talking
about embodied rhetoric. At first this seems cool and innovative, a new way of
looking at rhetoric, the answer to the method(ologies) call put forth in the
first two Octologs. Then I realize that the idea of embodiment is the new
“white men” approach. It’s what’s in academic vogue. History is still being
compiled and read using traditional methods—only the object of study is now a
group the academy calls Other.
The
panelists have some neat ideas in Octolog III: Burton wants to turn archival
research on its head and Dolmage wants to engage the body rhetorically. Mao’s
approach of recontextualized history offers a lot in the way of re/viewing
historical constructions. Meanwhile Cintron suggests perhaps to move out of the
English department. All valuable ideas, sure. Many of the ideas are also
missing the political part—or maybe they are too politicized. Given my reading
for Lit Theory this week, I have to come at this last panel with a Marxist
perspective. I wonder what is obscured. Twenty years after Octolog Prime, it
seems like the white men academy owns history and its methods. The forces that
shape history are too hegemonic to be reckoned with and actually end up shaping
the discourse on how to change it. I’m afraid to say we are trapped in the
machine of our making. The question of why these forgotten histories are in
vogue (yes, I’m being flippant) needs to be examined more closely. I believe part
of the answer might lay with Jarrett’s notion in 1988 when she says that
histories arise out of barriers and authority (44). What barriers have we built
in our quest to move beyond monolithic history? Who is the authority now and
how it is constructed?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRyan, I enjoyed reading your Godfather trilogy metaphor. It was quite fun and a very smart way to express your sentiments toward the Octalogs.
ReplyDeleteI'm also enjoying the overt Marxist slant that your Critical Theory readings have cast upon your reflections both in your blog and in class. This sentence is hilarious and sobering: "The forces that shape history are too hegemonic to be reckoned with and actually end up shaping the discourse on how to change it. I’m afraid to say we are trapped in the machine of our making." I'm having difficulty articulating anything insightful here other than to simply say, yeah I know what you mean. The struggle of unsung rhetorical heros, the struggling attempts of the historically marginalized cultures up against the The Rhetorical Tradition, the Rhetoric Machine. Do perspectives on historiography change much from Octalog I to III? I would say, yes and no. The tradition remains, and some say that's a good thing (I agree to some extent, though to what exact degree? I'm torn). But when I see recent works in the field such as Jess Enoch's "Refiguring Rhetorical Education" (historical study of women teachers) and Damian Baca's "Mestiz@ Scripts" (theorizes against dominant Western tradition and the linear trajectory) ... I suppose my current view of rhetoric historiography is a combination of skepticism and hopefulness.