James Gee describes a classroom activity wherein he has
students write down the tools they associate with work. When the students are
finished, they examine what the tools say about their conceptions of work and
how this speaks to social class and personal history. I couldn’t help but think
of Gee’s exercise when reading about the type of work modern authors do in
relation to the work of the first printers.
Let me take a step back from the previous paragraph for a
second and note how intrinsically linked our notion of language is to life.
(And life/death, it seems, is really what text is all about [Ong, 81].) I use
the word describes to relate an
activity. In a more literal (hence less linguistically abstract) reading of the
word, we see a (re)mediation of scribe—a turning from action to text and
text-into-action. But later, I use the words say and speaks to convey
what students wrote and were thinking (and here we should also note the tense
changes). And even now, in this paragraph I note
the appropriations of these words. Let us just agree that any puns involving
the interplay between the constructed word and its abstract meaning are, at
once, entirely accidental now, but intentional at one point[1]
in time.
The tools of the trade for the first printers[2]
dictated[3]
their roles in the work of reproducing[4]
texts. As Eisenstein writes, “Even before a given reference work had come off
the press, fruitful encounters between typefounders, correctors, translators...
and others engaged in editorial work had already occurred” (49). These sorts of
meetings and interactions, Eisenstein comes to term as “combinatory activity”
(49). Indeed, the combined knowledge as well as the power dynamics created by
putting these forces in conversation[5],
leads[6]
to even the singularly-authored[7]
text as a collaborative piece.[8]
Because
the human element is always at play in interpretation, copying, and producing,
the language within a text is never truly dead as Plato might have feared. The
written word continues to live because it is reproduced/is a product of a
system based in materiality. The material might shift though. And I mean shift
in the most textual of senses (i.e. pressing the “shift” key). Plato describes
transcending as meaning is made into Meaning. Perhaps as the word is recopied
and its Meaning is lost, but we come to understand it in its new heteroglossic
context as Word with meaning(s)—its context enveloped around it. This is why
transcendence is unachievable—because we are being torn (like a sheet of paper)
between two realities: one based in materiality, the other based in time.
Eisenstein
traces the notion of textual corruption to its liveliness—the perishability of
its material components and the flexible contexts of interpretation and
reproduction (87). The following sentence is my own spin on Eisenstein’s idea
as I act as scribe to reproduce the idea she stole and claim it as my own
Words. As paper dies, the text has to live. Once text becomes cemented (like
the initials I carved into the sidewalk where I grew up), it is as dead as my
childhood. Again, we see/read/experience/interpret/whatever that at once we are
constrained by the material, yet the material pushes us to move beyond it. The
point[9]
is that we can look[10] behind[11]
the text to more accurately read what the (con)text is saying.
[1] A point
being, of course, one twelfth of a pica. The text here in Word is twelve point. If you
multiply, you can get the product in picas (or see—by which I mean
read—footnote 4). I have no idea if Blogger will convert the text into a
different type and make it a product of their own design. I should also note that a point, mathematically speaking is plotted out as a dot (.), the same mark used to end a sentence.
[2] By printers,
I mean, the people, not the machines. Though, as I note in a posthumanist move,
there isn’t much difference between the two in footnote 3. More interestingly is the use of the brand name Xerox to identify paper photocopies from scanned copies.
[3] And
here/hear I have a word that describes the didactic action that we commonly
associate with power—the author speaking her manuscript to a lowly assistant
who performs the function of writing it down (as a scribe). Yet, the players in my example
are mechanical and people-as-defined-by-their-machines. Maybe these are the
conversations I describe—ha!—in footnote number 5. (And I have to wonder as I
move this text from Word to Blogger if "footnote" is really the correct term or
if I need to change it as I act as the printer/poster [poster still being a term derives from print culture] [see footnote 2]).
[4] Because the
product (a mathematical term describing—that word again!—the final number
arrived at in a multiplication equation) is really what happens when we combine and multiply work forces.
[5] Conversation
is a common trope in academia when two texts by long-dead authors are
juxtaposed by a living party. These conversations are said to produce insight.
[6] And the
leading required between single-spaced lines like this is typically 13 points.
[7] That is, a
text where a single person is the authority.
[8] And now I’ve
juxtaposed “text” (typically seen as a whole) with “piece” which insinuates
that it is merely a part of something bigger. I hope that putting these two words in conversation produces some insight.
[9] In the
non-pica sense.
[10] By which I
mean “read into” as opposed to reading over or looking up. Maybe a vision that looks deeply--like "insight!"--would best describe what I am hoping to say here.
[11] And by
“looking behind the text” to discover meaning, I am unintentionally referring
to looking in the back of the book at the meaningful indexes of glossaries and
appendices. Or it could mean a footnote. I guess it depends on the sort of
reading material you’re working with.
Interesting meta-reflective essay! You're reflection is exposing some of the many assumptions we regularly make while we are inside of the reading process ... your footnotes do a good job of double meta-reflecting. If, however, you start producing footnotes for your footnotes, you've clearly gone too far over the edge. Maybe look into the abyss, but don't jump! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's funny; I actually tried to find a way to footnote my footnote (a toenote?), but the constraints of the Word were too much. So what you ended up reading was the best way my thoughts could fit into the media of our "open" print culture.
DeleteI adore this entry. But to your point that as a paper dies, the text has to live...with Eisenstein's (and Ong's)discussion, I found myself thinking about the idea that the truth and life of the text lives in its reader, its interpreter, but also started thinking about the shifts in text on paper to interactive medias that we're exposed to now. How can we apply these two works to our understanding of multimodal studies today?
ReplyDelete