“An anonymous text posted on a wall probably has a
writer—but not an author” (Focualt 108).
I read this as someone in the digital age, a part of the
Facebook generation, and I have to laugh at how well the words mesh with our
own morphed ideas of those same words now mean. “Text,” “post,” and “wall” all
now denote a digital sort of discourse where the writer and author are very
much alive (despite what Barthes claims about the print text). I bring my ideas
to Focault—and he’s dead. But what if this was his status update or a tweet?
What if he posted an anonymous comment on a Yahoo story? Is he still dead if
the dialogue is actively going on?
But the digital age does nothing to revive Barthes dead
author, right? Authorship remains artificial. Right now I am writing this
blogpost because I am enrolled in a grad class where we have to do two posts
per week or else... I type it out in Word first and it usually catches most of
my typos. I copy/paste it into Blogger and Google takes care of the formatting
for me. After I hit “post” and the blog goes to my main page (or “wall”) am I
only the writer here? Can I not take all the credit because I have all of these
forces acting on me, shaping my discourse? Is my choice between Blogger and
WordPress a form of authorship or do those spaces write me? (And, I should note
here, that we begin to see the re-emergence of an interest in the body and
embodied rhetorics.)
Most significant is what Barthes calls
the “total existence of writing”—the idea that “a text is made of multiple
writings, drawn from many cultures and entering into mutual relations of
dialogue, parody, contestations” (148). My blog is a response to a number of
texts read each week and (hopefully) synthesized. I look at my peers’ blogs,
the class blog rules, and author my next response. I take all of these thoughts
and put them through the series of interfaces (or do the interfaces act like
Burke’s terministic screens? I’m not sure.). When I take this into account it
seems like I was barely alive to begin with and each time I post a little part
of me dies. Writing just seals the deal.
So
we have all these forces acting on and shaping and reshaping text. Barthes goes
on to remind us that the reader is also coming to the text with his/her own
context. The author is done. The text is written. Now it’s the reader’s turn to
contribute to the text. And this is where the breakdown is for me: it seems
that the idea of author/writer and reader, where a text resides for Barthes is
largely based in time. Barthes states that “The Author, when believed in, is
always conceived of as the past of his own book: book and author stand
automatically on a single line divided into a before and after” (145). But the before and after is blurred in
Cixous when she writes “as a woman, towards women” (1524). It is not just
audience idenitifcation here; this is a movement in time that bridges the past
and present. How is the author dead when she writes as if speaking directly to
us?
I’ll
venture a guess and say that a large part of this has to do with the capitalist
nature of the 20th century—that we tend to view living and dead in
terms of production. The dead is a final product, the thing produced from
manual labor that becomes an artifact. Life is the process by which an artifact
(fossil?) is found.
This
brings me back to digital writing—a Google doc, an instagram, or a iPhone
location update. What happens to our idea of the dead author when the book in
the material sense is erased? Is authorship really bound up in the material? Is
the idea of the dead author dead because of digital context or does this
digitized text cause an outer-body experience?
This was a really fun post for me to read, as I wonder about many of the same things myself, and am curious about how the spaces within which we write write us as much as we write them. I noted a long while back when Facebook used to have the name of the person (author) configured in such a way that the status update "continued" from his or her name, thus the convention was often to begin thinking of one's self in third-person, but then change into first person. I noted the grammatical shift, and often thought about how this changed my relationship to my own subjectivity. I noted myself narrating inside my head: "Renea Frey wonders how she will get out of bed in the morning, considering I'll only get two hours of sleep." This is rather mundane (and totally made up) but you get the point -- just the wording of the interface altered the way I thought of myself to myself within my own head. It actually gave me a sense of distance from myself, though not quite a forth-person perspective. (This is my term for the grammatical construction of speaking of one's self in third person as someone one is not, e.g. the times I walk calling myself Bob Dole and speaking of my non-self in third-person.) At any rate, it is a simple example of how interface and space alters potential conceptions of subjectivity. I found that I missed it once FB changed the layout and I had to start thinking of myself in first-person again. It was really kind of a bummer for me -- I find it productive to occasionally situate my inner voice in a position of exterieority to that which is being spoken of.
ReplyDeleteDanged if the "helpful formatting" of Blogger took out all of my parenthetical meaning-making marks around the word "author" above. It meant something totally different when surrounded by parenthetical coughing and throat-clearing, but Blogger won't permit that kind if transtextual commentary. Huh. Just another jot on the clipboard as I monitor the 'bots monitoring me.
ReplyDeleteHah, this was super entertaining, but definitely gets us to ask the question of authorship in the digital age. I like that you boiled down some of these texts down to timing and context, which forces us to consider the constraints, limitations of the venue in which we write. How much of that affects our writing? As you note all of the “constraints” or restrictions consciously and otherwise put on yourself, “When I take this into account it seems like I was barely alive to begin with and each time I post a little part of me dies. Writing just seals the deal.” I’d like to think that the “self,” the author is the entity that can not only see all of the constraints you mentioned, but maneuver through them effectively (I don’t really like “through” or even “constraints” in this example, but oh well).
ReplyDelete